Thursday, December 04, 2008

Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More, Love All

I absolutely love Christmas, and just about everything that comes with it. As November rolls by, and Thanksgiving comes and passes, I get excited about listening to Christmas music, Christmas decorations, Christmas festivities, Christmas presents, Christmas lights...just about everything Christmas-related. However, all of this often distracts me from the TRUE meaning of the season.

Jennifer Frazier (one of my old bible study leaders from high school) recently sent out an email containing the link to a website called, "Advent Conspiracy." http://www.adventconspiracy.org/hope

The website/Advent Conspiracy was created in 2006 by 5 pastors throughout the country. One of the pastors, Chris Seay, is at Ecclesia from Houston, TX. The purpose? To encourage their churches and communities to, " Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More and Love All."
Although it began in response to the Christmas season, I think the concept can apply to our daily lives. On the link I gave above, you can click on each concept for a brief explaination of what they mean. This website does a great job of recapturing what the TRUE Christmas spirit should be all about; the true Christmas Spirit being the Holy Spirit, the glory of the birth of Jesus Christ, the son of God. (Matthew 1:20)

This Christmas should be a season to give "PRESENCE," not just presents. If we are to give glory to God in everything we do, then loving is included in that. Being joyful in giving is included in that. Celebrating and SHARING the birth of Christ Jesus is included in that. Being good and faithful stewards like in Matthew 25:14-30 is included. (especially by not being greedy with our money, but also not being careless with how much we spend).

I pray for this Christmas season, that I wouldn't be caught up with the worldly meaning of Christmas, but rather, the JOY of what the season truly means to us all.

'Tis the season!

1 comment:

Brittany {Coleman Chronicles} said...

You are so not keeping up with your blog the way you should... what's up with that?!